Friday, February 15, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along? (Part One)

According to CNN (and everyone else) Clinton has upped the Obama-bashing, reportedly going after his failure to take on special interests, his failure to deliver on his promises, and his failure to...well, fail. I'm slightly struck by the irony of her accusations saying "Speeches don't put food on the table. Speeches don't fill up your tank. Speeches ain't nothin' but hoes and tricks" - all while giving a speech.

Poor Hillary. This smacks of utter desperation. And Obama's spokesman, Bill Burton, is right: this is "exactly what everyone else in America is tired of." CNN doesn't believe that, though. Their video clip is entitled "Watch Clinton Attack Obama" - as though I'm going to click on it and see the two of them go at it in the savannahs of Africa.

I like the Clintons. But Hillary always seemed poised to pounce...something behind the smile, I guess. It sort of reminded me of when Bush and Kerry debated and Kerry was stoic and calm (afterall he's made of stone...) and Bush kept pacing like at any moment he was going to leap over his podium and punch Kerry in the face.

Thankfully, Obama seems able to keep it classy, which is one of the things I've always enjoyed about him. Why can't she do the same? Is it really so hard? Maybe I'm asking too much. After all, I'm the guy who cried at the end of Ratatouille.*



*Okay, in my defense, I was sleep-deprived on a plane leaving Paris, so it brought back some really wonderful memories, and come on! that monologue at the end delivered by Peter O'Toole is absolutely beautiful!

1 comment:

Kim said...

You're so good at summing up exactly what I'm thinking. Something behind the smile, indeed. Also, I just saw Ratatouille this weekend, and I'm with ya.