Wednesday, December 17, 2008

'Tis the Season

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year is upon us, indeed.

Deck the Halls, and Fa la la la la.

No, not christmakahwanza.

I'm talking Oscar Season.

And it begins with the announcement last thursday of this year's Golden Globes Nominees.
I'm already behind in my watching.

Some comments:

Meryl Streep with two nods, one for Doubt and the other for Mamma Mia! Now, if that isn't range, I don't know what is.

And how about 3 broadway shows on screen: Doubt, Mamma Mia!, and Frost/Nixon. All of them basically transplanted, not even adapted. Hmm.

The biggest surprise of the list: James Franco for (Milk, you ask? no...) Pineapple Express. I admit, I didn't see it. But the billboard with the beat up guys carrying sawed-off shot guns in a hazy mist of marijuana smoke touting "From the Guys who brought you Knocked Up" didn't really say Golden Globe to me.

I think The Curious Case of Benjamin Button gets the most nominated award, if my count is correct (note: I didn't actually count.) I'm excited to see it. But I honestly don't think anyone can beat Sean Penn in the best actor category. His turn as Harvey Milk is honest-to-god magic.

And what I wouldn't give to see Heath Ledger win for Dark Knight. God rest ya, Heath.

No comments: